INTRODUCTION TO BOOKKEEPING & ACCOUNTING
Not sure about completing a bookkeeping course - try: Introduction to Bookkeeping and Accounting
This course has been designed to introduce the theory and practice of basic accounting and bookkeeping. The course introduces participants to the various source documents and journals required to establish a computerised set of accounts for a small to medium sized business. This course is excellent for people with little or no accounting experience.
Students receive the following:
- MYOB introduction to Bookkeeping [Basic] E-Manual with Student Edition MYOB
- Study Guide # 1
- Study Guide # 2 [workbook]
- Optional "Australian Master Bookkeepers Guide" textbook [$125 plus GST]
- Optional Start Your Own Bookkeeping Business Textbook [59.95]
- Accounting and Bookkeeping Principles and Practice Textbook and Workbook [$90.00 plus GST]
This course covers the basic concepts of bookkeeping which we consider are necessary when using MYOB accounting. These bookkeeping basics are then applied to MYOB.
At the completion of this course participants will have an understanding of:
- Business Basics
- Introduction to Bookkeeping
- Basics of Bookkeeping
- Account Group Rules
- Analysing transactions
- Accounts and Bank Statements
- Reconciling the Bank Account
- Goods and Services Tax
- Applying Bookkeeping Basics to MYOB Accounting
This 2 day course runs from 9.15am to 12.30pm. It is part of the Certificate IV in Bookkeeping lectures 3 and 4. Break for lunch and then 1pm to approximately 3pm at your own pace with trainer to assist with queries. The workbook covers the basic concepts of bookkeeping which Bookkeeping Institute of Australia considers necessary when using MYOB accounting. These bookkeeping basics are then applied to MYOB. The workbook incorporates the following:
- Identify different business structures
- Identify is a venture is a business or hobby
- Understand the responsibility of bookkeepers
- Identify the two parts of any transaction
- Identify the assets, liabilities, income and expenses of the business
- Understand the concept of proprietorship
- Enter transactions in a General Ledger
- Prepare an income statement and Balance sheet
- Apply the Account Group rules and decide in any given transaction which is debited and which account is credited
- Prepare a trial balance
- Enter transactions in a "T" account
- Prepare a bank reconciliation
- Understand Goods and Services Tax codes
- Relate the above principles to MYOB Accounting
The Bookkeeping Institute of Australia will issue a Certificate of Achievement upon completion of this course.
How does Distance/online work?
It is quite simple really. After you have enroled with Bookkeeping Institute of Australia and accepted our letter of offer we will ship to you all of the textbooks, study and accounting guides that you will need, together with the MYOB Student Edition DVD and a CD containing all of the PowerPoint lecture and tutorial slides, Assessments and reference material.
You will need to read our "Getting Started Guide" which will tell you what is contained in your package and our recommendations of what to do in what sequence.
Then you open up your first lecture in PowerPoint. This lecture will point you to which chapters in which book you should study and when. After finishing the lecture you will be advised to complete the 1st Assessment on your CD. Each of the 10 lectures ollows much the same format.
If you need help you call our dedicated 1300 student support line or email Bookkeeping Institute of Australia support for help. Because we are dedicated to Bookkeeping you will get directly through to a support consultant that can help you.